Whilst most small business owners recognise the need to invest in their staff, during challenging times it is very tempting to put people management concerns on the back burner. But now more than ever is the time to make sure that you get the best from one of your most valuable resources – your people. Here are a few thoughts:
- Communicate to motivate: With the news so full of doom and gloom it’s easy for people to waste time worrying about job security. Why not reverse the trend? Ensure that team meetings and other staff communications contain a ‘good news’ section. Reassure people that orders are still coming in, that the business has a future and that you appreciate the great job they are doing.
- Focus on survival: Use your performance management or staff appraisal process to focus your people on the things you need them to do to help pull the business through. Make sure every member of your team has an objective that contributes towards the survival of the business, such as seeking new business opportunities or thinking of ways to cut costs.
- Work flexibly: Remember that flexible working patterns can be advantageous to employers as well as to staff. At times like these you may want to negotiate more flexible contracts with staff which provide flexibility for both your staff and your business.
- Train for the future: The training budget is often one of the first things to get slashed when money is tight. As well as the costs of training courses and travel, it can be hard to release people from the business to attend training. That’s why I’ve reacted to the needs of my clients by adding to my traditional face to face courses, a portfolio of high quality, video-based e-learning offering a stimulating and engaging learning experience. These courses provide:
- an effective way of learning new skills or updating existing ones
- training delivered at the pace required by each individual
- filmed presenters, animated sequences and activities to engage learners
- an opportunity to go over the learning content as often as required
- content written and kept up to date by subject experts to keep your business safe and compliant
- easily accessible training which can be completed using any device
- certificates following successful completion of post-training tests
- a range of management and health & safety related topics
- approval by relevant regulatory bodies.
To celebrate #SmallBusinessSaturday I am offering a 5% discount off all of my online products up until 10am on Monday 4th December 2017. Use the coupon code #SBS when you place your order click here for my online shop