Coaching is increasingly popular in many aspects of today’s society and is recognised as being particularly valuable in a business context for the following reasons:
- With tighter controls on expenditure, HR managers must demonstrate return on investment. Research has found that management training alone increases the productivity of participants by 22%. Once training is supported by coaching, the productivity improvement increases to 88%. (Source: Executive Coaching as a Transfer of Training Tool: Effects on Productivity in a Public Agency by Olivero, Bane and Kopelman – Public Personnel Management – 1997)
- Senior managers are expected to identify for themselves what they should focus on. However, they often focus on work that they are confident and familiar with; in other words, the work of the more junior role from which they have been promoted. Coaching can help them to shift this focus. This is essential where managers are faced with increased organisational complexity and change resulting in increased job complexity.
- The flexibility of coaching is one of its major strengths. In my practice I offer a blend of face-to-face, telephone and email support to suit clients’ needs. Coaching can be stand-alone or can be used as part of a management development programme. It can involve a one-off session focused on a very specific need or a longer programme of regular support.
- With the breakdown in traditional respect for authority – managers need to be more accomplished at influencing people; they need greater emotional intelligence. Coaching is the ideal tool to support behavioural development of this sort.
- Coaching can be developmental or remedial i.e. used to accelerate the performance of a potential high flier or improve the performance of a manager who is struggling.
I offer coaching in the following situations:
Senior corporate executives
A tailored programme of coaching suits business leaders who believe that courses won’t meet their unique development needs. They also feel they don’t want to discuss their development needs with anyone inside the organisation, perceiving this as a sign of weakness. Coaching provides a critical friend for senior executives, helping them to thrive in an increasingly complex and constantly changing organisation.
Team coaching is becoming increasingly popular, particularly at Board level, recognising the importance of effective working relationships. We work with senior teams to assist them in developing their strategy, developing their decision making capability and generally improving team effectiveness.
Small businesses owners
Business people often have no one to bounce their ideas off. They are also conscious of the value of their time and expect to see a rapid return on their investment. Coaching provides them with someone to brainstorm with – a listening ear.
In addition to my coaching service, I also provide a mentoring service to individuals planning to set up a consultancy business.
Newly appointed managers
Nearly half of newly appointed managers feel that they are not adequately prepared for their new roles (Source: Executive Coaching: What makes a great executive? – The Hay Group – 2002). I use coaching to assist them in clarifying objectives, developing key skills, gaining focus and building their confidence. My coaching service is especially popular with managers who have recently been appointed into a new role or are facing particular challenges in their role.
In the past, career paths were much easier to recognise. Organisations managed people’s careers for them. These days, organisations are flatter, more complex and subject to greater change, so career planning is more difficult. Career coaching enables people to actively manage their careers.
Whether you’re just starting out in your career, looking to develop your career, making choices mid-life, reacting to redundancy or planning for retirement, career coaching will help you to make decisions about your career, and to put into place a plan to help you to take the next step.
This support might include helping you to write your CV, complete application forms, practice your interview technique or prepare to attend assessment centres.
Click here to find out more about how I work with my coaching clients
Contact me for a chat about your needs.